Sunday, March 25, 2012

Database size shrunk

I will like to request for understanding with regards to SQL data size.

On Friday, 21 March, I checked from the SQL Server Enterpise Manager that my Data Size was 30 MB.

I then had my database quota size increased.

However, on Monday 24 March, I noted that the data size has shrunk to 24 MB even though my client has added about 7k+ of records to the database since.

Today on 25 March, the database showed 15 MB instead. I checked my records and there was nothing lost in them. The number remains the same or slightly higher. This is because they have almost completed the porting of the data.

I am confused as to the difference in the display of Data Size. It has lead me to a wrong decision earlier to upgrade to 45 MB when in actual fact, the data doesnt even take more than 16 MB.

I have during the time truncated the transaction logs. Could this be the cause of the database size to shrink?Check whether AUTO_SHRINK option is used.|||Originally posted by Satya
Check whether AUTO_SHRINK option is used.

Thanks for replying

I just checked and AUTO_shrink is off

Would there be anything else that could cause it to shrink?sql

No comments:

Post a Comment