Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Database sizes explanation Please?

Hi All
I have been developing in MS SQL Server 2000 for about 8 months now so I
would consider my self to be really new to this Database.
As I am lacking in long term experience I really have no idea about the
sizes that MS SQL is capable of.
My database started at 0 in size I would say 3 months ago and is now 5007.19
MB in size I think. I don't know how to check this 100 percent because I am
a developer I have not done much MS SQL admin.
My problem is that the database will continue to grow at about this speed
potentially for ever.
There is about 10 users of my application and they are constantly inserting
new data, and the idea is that when they get better at using the application
they will be imputing the data even faster so the volume should increase but
I don't know by how much.
So First question is.
How can I keep track of the database growth properly?
When do I need to start being concerned about the size of this database?
And what are the options available to me when the database gets really
large?
Many thanks
IanSee inline...
and good luck Ian... you are asking the right questions in the right place!.
--
Wayne Snyder, MCDBA, SQL Server MVP
Mariner, Charlotte, NC
www.mariner-usa.com
(Please respond only to the newsgroups.)
I support the Professional Association of SQL Server (PASS) and it's
community of SQL Server professionals.
www.sqlpass.org
"Ian" <ian@.NoWhere.com> wrote in message
news:%23cXJW9izEHA.3376@.TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Hi All
> I have been developing in MS SQL Server 2000 for about 8 months now so I
> would consider my self to be really new to this Database.
> As I am lacking in long term experience I really have no idea about the
> sizes that MS SQL is capable of.
> My database started at 0 in size I would say 3 months ago and is now
5007.19
> MB in size I think. I don't know how to check this 100 percent because I
am
> a developer I have not done much MS SQL admin.
> My problem is that the database will continue to grow at about this speed
> potentially for ever.
> There is about 10 users of my application and they are constantly
inserting
> new data, and the idea is that when they get better at using the
application
> they will be imputing the data even faster so the volume should increase
but
> I don't know by how much.
> So First question is.
> How can I keep track of the database growth properly?
sp_spaceused or
sp_spaceused @.updateusage=true
You may also use SQL Agent to create an alert based on the data file size.
> When do I need to start being concerned about the size of this database?
You should always be aware of the size... SQL Server can handle very large
databases is designed and maintined properly, even in the several Terabyte
range...
One of the things which might be causing your db to grow quickly is the
transaction log... IF your database is in FUll Recovery mode AND you have
not been backing up the transaction log, then the log will contain every
change you have ever made to the database... Take a look at the log size
relative to the data file sizes... You may need to start backing up the
log... ( and perhaps shrink the log ( DBCC SHRINKFILE) if it has grown large
due to neglect)
> And what are the options available to me when the database gets really
> large?
Good Maintenance, Faster/better IO subsystem, more memory, separating
historical data from current OLTP data, etc.
>
> Many thanks
> Ian
>
>
>
>
>
>|||Thanks Wayne
Would you consider my database to be a fast growing?
Is there some where that I can read about this "FUll Recovery mode" and how
to change it?
Ian
"Wayne Snyder" <wayne.nospam.snyder@.mariner-usa.com> wrote in message
news:OiufmPjzEHA.4004@.tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> See inline...
> and good luck Ian... you are asking the right questions in the right
place!.
> --
> Wayne Snyder, MCDBA, SQL Server MVP
> Mariner, Charlotte, NC
> www.mariner-usa.com
> (Please respond only to the newsgroups.)
> I support the Professional Association of SQL Server (PASS) and it's
> community of SQL Server professionals.
> www.sqlpass.org
> "Ian" <ian@.NoWhere.com> wrote in message
> news:%23cXJW9izEHA.3376@.TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> > Hi All
> >
> > I have been developing in MS SQL Server 2000 for about 8 months now so I
> > would consider my self to be really new to this Database.
> >
> > As I am lacking in long term experience I really have no idea about the
> > sizes that MS SQL is capable of.
> >
> > My database started at 0 in size I would say 3 months ago and is now
> 5007.19
> > MB in size I think. I don't know how to check this 100 percent because I
> am
> > a developer I have not done much MS SQL admin.
> >
> > My problem is that the database will continue to grow at about this
speed
> > potentially for ever.
> > There is about 10 users of my application and they are constantly
> inserting
> > new data, and the idea is that when they get better at using the
> application
> > they will be imputing the data even faster so the volume should increase
> but
> > I don't know by how much.
> >
> > So First question is.
> >
> > How can I keep track of the database growth properly?
> sp_spaceused or
> sp_spaceused @.updateusage=true
> You may also use SQL Agent to create an alert based on the data file size.
> >
> > When do I need to start being concerned about the size of this database?
> You should always be aware of the size... SQL Server can handle very large
> databases is designed and maintined properly, even in the several Terabyte
> range...
> One of the things which might be causing your db to grow quickly is the
> transaction log... IF your database is in FUll Recovery mode AND you have
> not been backing up the transaction log, then the log will contain every
> change you have ever made to the database... Take a look at the log size
> relative to the data file sizes... You may need to start backing up the
> log... ( and perhaps shrink the log ( DBCC SHRINKFILE) if it has grown
large
> due to neglect)
> >
> > And what are the options available to me when the database gets really
> > large?
> Good Maintenance, Faster/better IO subsystem, more memory, separating
> historical data from current OLTP data, etc.
>
> >
> >
> > Many thanks
> >
> > Ian
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
>sql

No comments:

Post a Comment