Thursday, March 29, 2012

Database status check

Hey guys,

A question about database status !

I would like to do 2 checks through T-sql :

* Check if a database exists in my Sql Server

- I found following T-Sql code and it does the trick, so no problem here I guess :

Code Snippet

select * from sys.databases where name = 'Testing'

* Check if the database is Online or Offline

Here I'm having trouble selecting a good approach.

At first I would just launch a query to one of my tables, but it got me thinking, this would create a timeout if the database is offline, not ?

So how could I avoid this timeout ? I found out that the SysDatabases table has a status field I can query, but I can't find any document reference for the difference in Status Online or Offline ( I see a change when I do the test local, but I can't get a int reference to really check the value ).

NOTE : I'm on sql 2000 !

So any suggestions ?

Hey Depechie,

check out this tip: http://www.mssqltips.com/tip.asp?tip1033

success,

hansco

No comments:

Post a Comment