Thursday, March 29, 2012

database speed in SQL server

Hi there,
My program in Delphi have 7 table with about 120,000 records and 200 fields.
I use SQL server for my database.
When my program launchs its speed is too low.
What shall I do to increase its speed?
Regards,
Doroodgarit probably has nothing to do with the number of tables and records in the
database. you can try several things:
* delay creating unnecessary objects and forms, and create them as needed
* delay connecting to the database, and again connect only when needed
* move time-consuming processing to background thread, if possible
* show splash screen, it will make the appearance better :)
in general, minimize the amount of work you perform on load.
btw, those '200 fields' seem pretty much..
dean
"doroodgar" <rdoroodgar@.noornet.net> wrote in message
news:uTKCZCpDFHA.148@.TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Hi there,
> My program in Delphi have 7 table with about 120,000 records and 200
fields.
> I use SQL server for my database.
> When my program launchs its speed is too low.
> What shall I do to increase its speed?
> Regards,
> Doroodgar
>|||HI doroodgar,
You sound convinced SQL slow your application purely on the fact the you
return tons of records so I'll work with that.
Why do you need that size recordset on application launch ? This confuse me
a bit cause you load the records based on what ?
What does your application do ? Is there some sort of logic to the records
that you return, is it possible that you can narrow it down , you present
120k records on one page anyways... should you maybe try and load 100 at a
time ?
How do you application present the 200 fields ?
Is it a straight select statement that populate your recordset or do you use
joins ?
What's the timing compared to when you run it through QA ?
Hope this will help
Can you give more info regarding your query and application ?
"doroodgar" wrote:

> Hi there,
> My program in Delphi have 7 table with about 120,000 records and 200 field
s.
> I use SQL server for my database.
> When my program launchs its speed is too low.
> What shall I do to increase its speed?
> Regards,
> Doroodgar
>
>|||http://www.sql-server-performance.com
Regards
Mike
"Mal" wrote:
> HI doroodgar,
> You sound convinced SQL slow your application purely on the fact the you
> return tons of records so I'll work with that.
> Why do you need that size recordset on application launch ? This confuse m
e
> a bit cause you load the records based on what ?
> What does your application do ? Is there some sort of logic to the records
> that you return, is it possible that you can narrow it down , you present
> 120k records on one page anyways... should you maybe try and load 100 at a
> time ?
> How do you application present the 200 fields ?
> Is it a straight select statement that populate your recordset or do you u
se
> joins ?
> What's the timing compared to when you run it through QA ?
> Hope this will help
> Can you give more info regarding your query and application ?
> "doroodgar" wrote:
>sql

No comments:

Post a Comment